This week’s comforting and offbeat titles
From a strange character spotted outside a zoo to a promising cancer treatment, there was no shortage of intriguing stories this week. Here are some of our favorite heartwarming and quirky stories from June 4-10 that helped make our days a little brighter:
1. Mysterious Figure Spotted Outside Texas Zoo; the city is asking for the public’s help in identifying: An unidentified character has been filmed in Texas around the zoo, and city officials are asking residents for their best guess of what it might be.
Mysterious figure spotted at the Amarillo Zoo (Photo courtesy of the City of Amarillo)
2. California court rules bumblebee a fish under environmental law: A bumblebee is a fish under California law, a California court ruled in a ruling this week.
28 May 2022, Hessen, Frankfurt/Main: A bumblebee sits on a bearded carnation in a garden. Photo: Oliver Berg/dpa (Photo by Oliver Berg/picture alliance via Getty Images)
3. Driver spots little kitten on side of road, ends up saving 13: Robert Brantley was leaving work when he saw a little kitten on the side of the road. He stopped to save him – only to have twelve other cubs suddenly run up and surround him.
(Courtesy of Robert Brantley)
4. Father Graduates 27 Years After High School Dropout: ‘I Was Led By God’“Three of my children are still in high school and I felt I had to be an example for them and show them how important education is,” he said.
Clyde Welch Jr. stands with his cap and gown after earning his GED degree. (Credit: Clyde Welch Jr.)
5. Veteran Receives Medals He Lost in Tunnel Fire in Emotional Welcoming Ceremony: A veteran who lost everything in the tunnel fire that burned miles of Flagstaff – including his home, service medals and more – has been honored in a ceremony.
6. Cat confronts coyote on Texas porch in wild video: ‘He was a fighter’“You can hear me knocking on the door to scare the coyote away. That’s why he ran away,” says the owner. “He was a fighter and luckily the coyote was a temperamental pup.”
Cat tries to escape the coyote in CCTV footage. (Credit: Tony Gray)
seven. Small Rectal Cancer Treatment Study Brings Every Patient Into Remission: A small US study of patients with rectal cancer with a certain mutation found that each person treated with an immunotherapy drug saw their cancer “disappear” without the need for further treatment.
FILE – Rectal carcinoma. Abdominal x-ray in front view. (Photo by BSIP/UIG via Getty Images)
8. Mom Gives Birth to Identical Twins 3 Days Apart in Texas: ‘Very Rare’: In a rare event, a woman in Texas gave birth to one of her twin daughters while still pregnant with the other.
Gabriella “Gabby” Grace Hernandez and Isabella “Bella” Rose Hernandez are identical twin girls from Texas who were born three days apart in March 2022, at Hendrick Health. (Carmen Martinez)
9. Woman and her son she put up for adoption find out they work at the same hospital: A Utah woman and the son she put up for adoption more than 20 years ago have been reunited – and it turns out they have more in common than shared genes.
Holly Shearer and Benjamin Hulleberg (still image courtesy of KSTU)
ten. An Indian man allegedly divorced his wife because she only cooked instant noodles: The judge presiding over the divorce case reportedly called it “the Maggi case” because Maggi instant noodles were the wife’s favorite food to feed her husband.
FILE – Packets of Maggi 2 Minute Noodles, manufactured by Nestlé India Ltd., at a grocery store, known as kirana, in Bangalore, India, Monday, June 21, 2021. (Dhiraj Singh/Bloomberg via Getty Images)